With near-endless sunshine, world-class theme parks, and abundant outdoor experiences, California is an ideal destination for an unforgettable adventure.
To make it easy for travelers to plan their trips, the 2023 California Road Trips guide includes 13 action-packed itineraries that each begin and end at one of the state’s 27 commercial airports, highlighting how easy it is to fly into any region of the Golden State and hit the road.
“California’s natural beauty, diverse topography, and culturally rich communities are the perfect backdrop for an epic road trip experience,” said Caroline Beteta, president and CEO of Visit California, a nonprofit organization that partners with the state’s travel industry to develop and maintain marketing programs that keep California top-of-mind as a premier travel destination. “This year’s guide showcases how the state’s vast network of international and regional airports provide travelers with convenient access to every corner of the California Road Trip Republic.”
RELATED: Travel trends break from routine in 2023
The guide’s cover star, Dwyane Wade, a three-time NBA champion, dad, and owner of the Napa Valley winery Wade Cellars, moved to Los Angeles after his retirement in 2019. Wade said California granted him a soulful landscape and much-needed quiet time.
“I like to find moments where no one can expect anything of me, and California allows me to have those moments,” Wade said. “I’ll drive to the beach and walk next to the water. I’ll drive all over to find those moments to connect with myself… I get my energy from that.”
While California’s world-renowned coastline provides a dramatic backdrop, adventures can be found in every region of the Golden State. Featured drives take travelers to both cities and classic small towns; family attractions; and far-reaching, otherworldly landscapes.
A few sample road trip itineraries include:
* “Animals, Desert, and Offbeat Art” combines kid-friendly experiences like LEGOLAND California and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park with the rich arts culture and stargazing opportunities in Borrego Springs.
* “Cactus and Cocktails” explore both the cosmopolitan pleasures of Palm Springs and the rugged sceneries of Joshua Tree National Park and the Mojave National Preserve.
* “National Park Adventures” is a 412-mile adventure that begins at Fresno Yosemite Airport and explores the wonders of Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon National Parks.
* “Road to Gold” is a four-day trek that begins in Sacramento, explores Lake Tahoe, and meanders back through Gold Country with photo opportunities at every turn.
* “Innovation and Agricultural Bounty” features a San Jose-based itinerary that showcases cutting-edge arts, charming seaside villages, and bountiful farmlands on a 238-mile journey.
To order a guide, go to VisitCalifornia.com/Travel-Guides.
Some states like Florida, California, and Hawaii are known for their beautiful beaches.
When it comes to travel to Rwanda, most people think of gorillas. But there is so much more to the country than that. Here’s an inside guide to the more
Rennette Brown and Crystal Rae in A Maroon’s Guide to Time and Space at Catastrophic Theatre.Anthony Rathb
In an increasingly interconnected world, international travel has become more accessible and popular than ever before. Whether for business or leisure, people a