The Chicago White Sox will visit the Houston Astros in the first game of the season, Thursday at 7:08 PM ET.
The Astros are a home favorite (-155) against the White Sox (+132). The Astros will give the ball to Framber Valdez against the White Sox and Dylan Cease.
Here is everything you need to prepare for Thursday’s Astros vs. White Sox matchup, including viewing options.
Houston Astros vs. Chicago White Sox Odds and Betting Lines
Major League Baseball odds courtesy of Tipico Sportsbook. Odds updated Tuesday at 9:17 PM ET. For a full list of sports betting odds, access USA TODAY Sports Betting Scores Odds Hub.
- Favorite: Astros (-155, bet $155 to win $100)
- Underdog: White Sox (+132, bet $100 to win $132)
- Over/under: 7
Catch the excitement and bet with Tipico!
Double Down, Ohio! Deposit $200, Get $250. Bet now! In Colorado and New Jersey, claim your 100% Deposit Match up to $250 now! 21+, see Tipico.com for Terms and Conditions.
Astros Stats and Trends
Astros Betting Records
- The Astros were favorites in 149 games last season and won 103 (69.1%) of those contests.
- Houston had a record of 65-32, a 67% win rate, when it was favored by -155 or more by oddsmakers last season.
- The Astros have a 60.8% chance to win this game based on the implied probability of the moneyline.
- Houston and its opponents hit the over in 62 of 174 games with a total last season.
- The Astros were 92-82-0 against the spread in their 174 chances last season.
Framber Valdez (Astros Probable Starter)
- Valdez starts for the first time this season for the Astros.
- The 29-year-old left-hander started and threw six innings in his last appearance on Sunday, Nov. 6 against the Philadelphia Phillies.
- Over his 31 appearances last season he compiled a 17-6 record and had a 2.77 ERA and a 1.152 WHIP.
- He ranked 11th in ERA (2.77), 24th in WHIP (1.152), and 18th in K/9 (8.7) among qualified pitchers in the majors last year.
Astros Batting Stats
- The Astros hit 214 homers last season, which ranked fourth in the league.
- Fueled by 511 extra-base hits, Houston ranked fifth in MLB with a .423 slugging percentage last season.
- There were just 17 teams in baseball with a lower batting average than the Astros’ .247 batting average last season.
- With 737 runs scored last season, Houston ranked No. 8 in all of baseball.
- Ranking seventh with an OBP of .319, the Astros were among the best teams in baseball at reaching base.
- Houston showed patience at the plate last season with the second-best rate of strikeouts per game (7.3) among MLB offenses.
White Sox Stats and Trends
White Sox Betting Records
- The White Sox came away with 24 wins in the 54 contests they were listed as the underdogs in last season.
- Last season, Chicago came away with a win nine times in 18 chances when named as an underdog of at least +132 or worse on the moneyline.
- The White Sox have an implied victory probability of 43.1% according to the moneyline set for this matchup.
- Chicago and its opponents hit the over in 72 of its 160 games with a total last season.
- The White Sox went 68-92-0 against the spread in their 160 games with a line set by sportsbooks last season.
Dylan Cease (White Sox Probable Starter)
- Cease gets the call to start for the White Sox, his first of the season.
- The 27-year-old right-hander started and threw five innings when he last appeared on Sunday, Oct. 2 against the San Diego Padres.
- Last season he finished with a 2.20 ERA and a 1.109 WHIP over his 32 games, putting together a 14-8 record.
- Last season he ranked second in ERA (2.20), 20th in WHIP (1.109), and fourth in K/9 (11.1) among qualified pitchers in the majors.
White Sox Batting Stats
- The White Sox ranked 22nd in MLB play with 149 total home runs last season.
- A year ago, Chicago ranked 18th in MLB with a slugging percentage of .387.
- The second-best batting average in the majors last year was the White Sox’s .256 mark.
- Last season Chicago had the No. 19 offense in baseball, scoring 4.2 runs per game (686 total runs).
- Last season the White Sox’s .310 on-base percentage was 18th in the majors.
- Chicago’s batters struck out 7.8 times per game, the seventh-fewest strikeouts in the majors.
Place your legal, online sports bets in CO and NJ at Tipico Sportsbook now.
Astros vs. White Sox: Live Streaming Info & Game Time
- Game Day: Thursday, March 30, 2023
- Game Time: 7:08 PM ET
- Stadium: Minute Maid Park
- TV Channel: ESPN
- Live Stream: fuboTV (Watch for free)
Gannett may earn revenue from sports betting operators for audience referrals to betting services. Sports betting operators have no influence over nor are any such revenues in any way dependent on or linked to the newsrooms or news coverage. See operator site for Terms and Conditions. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, help is available. Call the National Council on Problem Gambling 24/7 at 1-800-GAMBLER. Must be 21 or older to gamble.