DENTON, Texas –
The UNT women’s basketball team continues its home stand against Arkansas Pine-Bluff on Wednesday at 11 a.m. CT.
The Mean Green have won five straight and will welcome UAPB into The Super Pit for an early tip off for the Denton ISD Kids Game. Wednesday’s game will be free admission for all fans.
The game will be streamed on ESPN+ with Kyle Youmans and Brian Burton on the call. The game can also be heard on the Varsity Sports Network App with Zac Babb.
WHAT 2 WATCH 4
• North Texas will take on Arkansas-Pine Bluff in its penultimate home game of the 2023 calendar year.
• At 7-1, Jason Burton has the best start for a first-year head coach in program history after passing Tina Slinker’s 5-1 start in 1989-90.
• The North Texas offense is averaging 78.5 points per game this season, which leads the American conference.
• UNT’s 117 points against UNT Dallas set a school record for points scored in a game, passing the previous mark of 116 that stood since 1997.
• DesiRay Kernal leads the way for the Mean Green after recording her third double double of the season against Samford. She is currently tied for the lead in the American conference with Mia Moore of UAB.
PREVIEWING PINE BLUFF
• UAPB is led by head coach Dawn Thornton who is in her fifth year at the helm.
• The Golden Lions are 3-6 on the season, but have faced a dauinting schedule, including four Power Five teams and two AAC opponents.
• It’s last time out, UAPB defeated SMU in Dallas, 78-76. Zaay Green led the team with 23 points, nine assists and eight rebounds.
• Green, a Texas A&M transfer and former McDonalds All-American, averages 20 points per game and has two triple doubles this season.
DURING THE WIN STREAK
• UNT is in the midst of a five-game win streak, which is its longest win streak since the 2021-22 season.
• North Texas has won by an average of 15.8 points per game.
• DesiRay Kernal is averaging a double double with 17.0 points and 10.2 rebounds
• UNT has been dominant in the second half, outscoring its opponents by 72 points in the five-game stretch.
DOUBLE THE DOUBLE-DOUBLES
• North Texas accomplished a rare feat in program history at The Lady Eagle Thanksgiving Classic.
• UNT had multiple players record double doubles in consecutive games, which had only been done six times entering the season, most recently on Feb. 6 and Feb. 11, 1993.
• Tommisha Lampkin posted double doubles in both games, while DesiRay Kernal had one against Samford and Aniyah Johnson had her first double double of the season against UND.